Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Ali
How popular is the baby name Ali in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Fun Facts about the name Ali
- How many people with the first name Ali have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 33,115 babies born with the first name Ali in the United States. That's more than enough people named Ali to occupy the country of San Marino with an estimated population of 32,312 (as of March 31, 2012).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Ali? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1914 when it was given as a first name to 5 new born babies.
- When was Ali first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Ali is Wednesday, October 21st, 1874.
- What year had the most people named Ali born? The highest recorded use of the first name Ali was in 2015 with a total of 1,059 babies. That's a lot of babies named Ali!
- Random Ali Factoid: According to the 2003 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Ali ranks 94th in popularity as a baby boy's name in Michigan. Imagine that, 133 babies in Michigan have the same name as you in 2003.
- Weird things about the name Ali: Your name in reverse order is Ila. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Lai. How do you pronounce that?
Where is the name Ali popular?
Popularity of Ali as a first name
Common last names for Ali
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Ali" mean? The list below shows the origins of Ali as well as things modernly associated with the name Ali such as celebrities named Ali.
Origin and Meaning of Ali
The name "Ali" is of Arabic origin, and it means "Noble, Sublime". It's a name commonly given to both boys and girls.
- The fourth caliph of Islam who is considered to be the first caliph by Shiites; he was a cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad; after his assassination Islam was divided into Shiite and Sunnite sects
- United States prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942)
From Arabic عَلِيّ (ʿaliyy, literally “high, exalted”), from the Arabic root ع ل ي (ʿ-l-y).
- A male given name.
- The Muslim caliph Ali ibn Abi Talib, considered by Shias to be Muhammad's successor.
- A surname found among Muslims.
Ali was also found in the following language(s): Dutch, Finnish, Portuguese, Swahili, and Turkish
Ali G is an interviewer, singer, rapper, and junglist. Ali was born in 1971.
Other Inspirations for the Name Ali
Ais for aptitudes, your special capabilities shine
Lis for lively, your life is full of energy!
Iis for immaculate, keeping it tidy