- The rising light of the morning; the dawn of day; the redness of the sky just before the sun rises.
- The rise, dawn, or beginning.
- [Class. Myth] The Roman personification of the dawn of day; the goddess of the morning. The poets represented her a rising out of the ocean, in a chariot, with rosy fingers dropping gentle dew.
- [Bot] A species of crowfoot.
- The aurora borealis or aurora australis (northern or southern lights).
Etymology: L. aurora, for ausosa, akin to Gr. �, �, dawn, Skr. ushas, and E. east