- A dagger.(Obs)"When he himself might his quietus make With a bare bodkin." [Shak.]
- [Needlework] An implement of steel, bone, ivory, etc., with a sharp point, for making holes by piercing; a stiletto; an eyeleteer.
- [Print] A sharp tool, like an awl, used for picking out letters from a column or page in making corrections.
- A kind of needle with a large eye and a blunt point, for drawing tape, ribbon, etc., through a loop or a hem; a tape needle."Wedged whole ages in a bodkin's eye." [Pope.]
- A kind of pin used by women to fasten the hair.
Etymology: OE. boydekyn dagger; of uncertain origin; cf. W. bidog hanger, short sword, Ir. bideog, Gael. biodag