Etymology: Cf. OE. brod, Dan. braad prick, sting, brodde ice spur, frost nail, Sw. brodd frost nail, Icel. broddr any pointed piece of iron or stell; akin to AS. brord point, spire of grass, and perh. to E. bristle. See Bristle (n.)
Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Brad
How popular is the baby name Brad in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born||Ranking|
#98 boy name
Fun Facts about the name Brad
- How many people with the first name Brad have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 82,951 babies born with the first name Brad in the United States. That's more than enough people named Brad to occupy the country of Andorra with an estimated population of 78,115 (as of July 1, 2011).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Brad? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1880 when it was given as a first name to 5 new born babies.
- When was Brad first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Brad is Wednesday, December 25th, 1872.
- What year had the most people named Brad born? The highest recorded use of the first name Brad was in 1960 with a total of 2,653 babies. That's a lot of babies named Brad!
- Random Brad Factoid: According to the 1968 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Brad ranks 57th in popularity as a baby boy's name in Idaho. Imagine that, 26 babies in Idaho have the same name as you in 1968.
- Weird things about the name Brad: Your name in reverse order is Darb. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Dbar. How do you pronounce that?
Where is the name Brad popular?
Common last names for Brad
Common first names for Brad
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Brad" mean? The list below shows the origins of Brad as well as things modernly associated with the name Brad such as celebrities named Brad.
Origin and Meaning of Brad
The name "Brad" is of English origin, and it means "From the Broad Meadow". It's a name commonly given to boys.
- A small nail
- Fasten with brads
- A diminutive of the male given names Bradley, Bradly or Bradford, also used as a formal given name.
Brad Renfro is an actor with the most prominent portion of his career being from 1993 to 2008. Brad was born in 1982 as Brad Barron Renfro in Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.
Other Inspirations for the Name Brad
Bis for bouquet, the flowers around you.
Ris for rich, in the love from others
Ais for aware, of your surroundings
Dis for desire, your thoughts do aspire.