- The string of a musical instrument.
- [Mus] A combination of tones simultaneously performed, producing more or less perfect harmony, as, the common chord .
- [Geom] A right line uniting the extremities of the arc of a circle or curve.
- [Anat] A cord. See Cord (n.), 4.
- [Engin] The upper or lower part of a truss, usually horizontal, resisting compression or tension.
Etymology: L chorda a gut, a string made of a gut, Gr. chordh`. In the sense of a string or small rope, in general, it is written cord. See Cord