- Your Searches:
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Cider, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name Cider mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of Cider
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
The expressed juice of apples. It is used as a beverage, for making vinegar, and for other purposes.
Note: ☞ Cider was formerly used to signify the juice of other fruits, and other kinds of strong liquor, but was not applied to wine.
Etymology: F. cidre, OF. sidre, fr. L. sicera a kind of strong drink, Gr. �; of Oriental origin; cf. Heb. shākar to be intoxicated, shēkār strong drink
- A beverage made from juice pressed from apples
From Middle English cidre or sidre, from Old French cisdre or sidre (“beverage made from fermented apples”), from Medieval Latin sīcera, from Ancient Greek σίκερα (síkera, “fermented liquor, strong drink”), of Semitic origin.
- (Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada) An alcoholic, often sparkling (carbonated) beverage made from fermented apples; hard cider; apple cider
- (US, Canada) A non-alcoholic still beverage consisting of the (usually unfiltered and still containing pulp) juice of early-harvest apples; apple cider; sweet cider; (Without pulp such a beverage is called apple juice.)
- She liked an aged . He liked a harder .
- (Australia) A non-alcoholic carbonated beverage made from apples.
- (in Korea, Japan) A non-alcoholic drink, normally carbonated; equivalent to soft drink.
- (countable) A cup, glass, or serving of any of these beverages.
cider was also found in the following language(s): Dutch
Where is the name Cider popular?
Popularity of Cider as a last name
The map shows the absolute popularity of the name Cider as a last name in each of the states.
See other popular names in Illinois, Michigan, or Pennsylvania.
Fun Facts about the name Cider
- How unique is the name Cider? Out of 5,838,786 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Cider was not present. It is possible the name you are searching has less than five occurrences per year.
- Weird things about the name Cider: Your name in reverse order is Redic. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Iredc. How do you pronounce that?
What Cider's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for Cider born Mar 12, 1999
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Egypt approximately on 1425. Your profession was builder of houses, temples, and cathedrals.
As a ruthless character, you carefully weighed your decisions in critical situations, with excellent self-control and strong will. Generally liked, but not always loved. Your lesson - to combat violence and disharmony in our world, to understand its roots and origins. All global problems have similar origins.
Name poster for Cider
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.