Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
- Gender: Neutral
- Origin: Native American
- Meaning: The Allies
- #586 All Time
- Free Horoscope
Pronunciation of Dakota
How popular is the baby name Dakota in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born||Ranking|
#85 boy name
#69 boy name
#56 boy name
#58 boy name
#66 boy name
#72 boy name
#77 boy name
#88 boy name
#93 boy name
Fun Facts about the name Dakota
- How many people with the first name Dakota have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 112,342 babies born with the first name Dakota in the United States. That's more than enough people named Dakota to occupy the country of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines with an estimated population of 109,000 (as of July 1, 2012).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Dakota? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1915 when it was given as a first name to 8 new born babies.
- When was Dakota first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Dakota is Monday, October 5th, 1874.
- What year had the most people named Dakota born? The highest recorded use of the first name Dakota was in 1995 with a total of 6,575 babies. That's a lot of babies named Dakota!
- Random Dakota Factoid: According to the 1996 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Dakota ranks 93rd in popularity as a baby boy's name in Louisiana. Imagine that, 64 babies in Louisiana have the same name as you in 1996.
- Weird things about the name Dakota: Your name in reverse order is Atokad. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Atdako. How do you pronounce that?
Where is the name Dakota popular?
Common last names for Dakota
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Dakota" mean? The list below shows the origins of Dakota as well as things modernly associated with the name Dakota such as celebrities named Dakota.
Origin and Meaning of Dakota
The name "Dakota" is of Native American origin, and it means "The Allies". It's a name commonly given to both boys and girls.
- The Siouan language spoken by the Dakota
- The area of the states of North Dakota and South Dakota
- A member of the Siouan people of the northern Mississippi valley; commonly called the Sioux
From Dakota dakhÃ³ta (â€œallyâ€)
- the Santee branch of the Sioux people; the language of these people
- either of the two states North Dakota or South Dakota
- A male or female given name.
- A member of the Dakota people.
Dakota was born in 1998.
Other Inspirations for the Name Dakota
Dakota Crossing Dc
Dis for dependable, on you I can rely.
Ais for advantage, for you are blessed with many.
Kis for keepsake, you treasure your memories.
Ois for old fashioned, you cherish the past.
Tis for tough, for you are not easily broken
Ais for activities, for you have many.