Etymology: AS. eornost eornest; akin to OHG. ernust, G. ernst; cf. Icel. orrosta battle, perh. akin to Gr. 'orny`nai to excite, L. oriri to rise
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Earnest
How popular is the baby name Earnest in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Want to know about the popularity of the Earnest baby name? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 58,841 babies born with the name Earnest in the United States. That's more than enough Earnests to occupy the territory of Greenland (Denmark) with an estimated population of 56,749 (as of January 1, 2012). The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1880 when it was given to 88 new born babies. The highest recorded use of the name "Earnest" was in 1926 with a total of 1,150 babies. (That's a lot of baby Earnests)
According to the 1954 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the name "Earnest" ranks #86 in popularity as a baby boy's name in Alabama. Imagine that, 95 babies in Alabama have the same name as you in 1954. Across the entire United States a total of 787 babies also bear the same first name during the same year.
Where is the name Earnest popular?
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Earnest" mean? The list below shows the origins of Earnest as well as things modernly associated with the name Earnest such as celebrities named Earnest.
Origin and Meaning of Earnest
The name "Earnest" is of English origin, and it means "Diligent, Truthful". It's a name commonly given to boys.
- Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavor; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers."An earnest advocate to plead for him." [Shak.]
- Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- Serious; important.(Obs)"They whom earnest lets do often hinder." [Hooker.]synonyms: Eager; warm; zealous; ardent; animated; importunate; fervent; sincere; serious; hearty; urgent. See Eager.
- Something given, or a part paid beforehand, as a pledge; pledge; handsel; a token of what is to come."Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts." [2 Cor. i. 22.]"And from his coffers Received the golden earnest of our death." [Shak.]
- [Law] Something of value given by the buyer to the seller, by way of token or pledge, to bind the bargain and prove the sale.synonyms: Earnest Pledge.
Usage: These words are here compared as used in their figurative sense. Earnest is not so strong as pledge. An earnest, like first fruits, gives assurance, or at least a high probability, that more is coming of the same kind; a pledge, like money deposited, affords security and ground of reliance for the future. Washington gave earnest of his talent as commander by saving his troops after Braddock's defeat; his fortitude and that of his soldiers during the winter at Valley Forge might rightly be considered a pledge of their ultimate triumph.
Etymology: Prob. corrupted fr. F. arrhes, L. arra arrha arrhabo, Gr. 'arrabw`n, of Semitic origin, cf. Heb. ērāvōn; or perh. fr. W. ernes, akin to Gael. earlas, perh. fr. L. arra. Cf. Arles Earles penny
- Something of value given by one person to another to bind a contract
- Not distracted by anything unrelated to the goal
- Characterized by a firm and humorless belief in the validity of your opinions ("both sides were deeply in earnest, even passionate")
- Sincerely earnest
Other Inspirations for the Name Earnest
Earnest Student Loans
E is for endear, all those you touch.
A is for activities, for you have many.
R is for righteous, you know when you're right.
N is for natural, the genuine side of you.
E is for excite, your spirit is catching!
S is for superb, a great attitude about life.
T is for touching, the way you show you are.
Your name in reverse order is "Tsenrae". A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give "Neasrte". How do you pronounce that?
Now try the names of everyone you know including friends, cousins, neighbors, classmates, co-workers or your pets. Even your favorite anime, TV or movie characters! See what their names mean. Remember, this is purely just for fun.
Past life for Earnest born Feb 5, 1922
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Greece approximately on 1875. Your profession was teacher, mathematician, and geologist.
You were always involved with all new things. You have always loved changes, especially in art, music, cooking. The world is full of ill and lonely people. You should help those, who are less fortunate than you are.