in the U.S.
in the U.S.
How to Pronounce February
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce February, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name February mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of February
"February" is a name of American origin, and it means "Born in February". It's a name commonly given to
both boys and girls.
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
The second month in the year, said to have been introduced into the Roman calendar by Numa. In common years this month contains twenty-eight days; in the bissextile, or leap year, it has twenty-nine days.
Etymology: L. Februarius, orig., the month of expiation, because on the fifteenth of this month the great feast of expiation and purification was held, fr. februa, pl., the Roman festival or purification; akin to februare to purify, expiate
- The month following January and preceding March
From Latin Februārius (“the month of the Februa”), from Fēbrua (“the Purgings, the Purifications”), a Roman holiday two days after its ides (i.e., Feb. 15), + -arius (“-ary: forming adjectives”). Fēbrua from fēbruum (“purging”), from an earlier Sabine word, possibly from Proto-Indo-European *dʰewh₂- (“smoke, haze”) and thus cognate with thio- (“sulfurous”) and Ancient Greek θεῖον (theîon, “sulfur”) or from *dʰegʷʰris, an extension of the root *dʰegʷʰ- (“to burn”) and thus cognate with fever and Latin febris. A relatinization abandoning Middle English feoverel, from Old French feverier.
- The short month following January and preceding March in the Roman, Julian, and Gregorian calendars, used in all three calendars for intercalation or addition of leap days.
- Susan was born on 29.
Notable Persons With the Last Name February
Edmund February is an influential individual. Edmund was born on September 15th, 1955.
Jody February is an athlete for the Ajax Cape Town F.C.
Fun Facts about the name February
- When was the first name February first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name February is Thursday, February 12th, 1925.
- How unique is the name February? From 1880 to 2016 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name February. Hoorah! You are a unique individual.
- Weird things about the name February: Your name in reverse order is Yraurbef. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Rfuayrbe. How do you pronounce that?
What February's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for February born Apr 11, 1991
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Yukon approximately on 850. Your profession was map maker, astrologer, and astronomer.
Psychologically, you were timid, constrained, and quiet. You had creative talents, waited until that life to be liberated. Sometimes environment considered you strange. It always seemed to you, that your perceptions of the world are somewhat different. Your lesson - to trust your intuition as your best guide in present life.
Name poster for February
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.
Notable persons via Wikipedia: Titles and License. Click each image for the attribution information.