- The point of a spear, or an arrowhead.
- A pointed or wedge-shaped instrument of metal, as a steel wedge used in mining, etc."I will go get a leaf of brass, And with a gad of steel will write these words." [Shak.]
- A sharp-pointed rod; a goad.
- A spike on a gauntlet; a gadling.
- A wedge-shaped billet of iron or steel.(Obs)"Flemish steel . . . some in bars and some in gads." [Moxon.]
- A rod or stick, as a fishing rod, a measuring rod, or a rod used to drive cattle with.(Prov. Eng. Local, U.S)
Etymology: OE. gad, Icel. gaddr goad, sting; akin to Sw. gadd sting, Goth. gazds, G. gerte switch. See Yard a measure