- [Class. Myth] The goddess of the rainbow, and swift-footed messenger of the gods.
- The rainbow.
- An appearance resembling the rainbow; a prismatic play of colors.
- [Anat] The contractile membrane perforated by the pupil, and forming the colored portion of the eye. See Eye.
- [Bot] A genus of plants having showy flowers and bulbous or tuberous roots, of which the flower-de-luce ( fleur-de-lis), orris, and other species of flag are examples. See Illust. of Flower-de-luce.
- [Her] See Fleur-de-lis, 2.
- [Zoöl] the inner circle of an oscillated color spot.
- same as iris diaphragm.
Etymology: L. iris iridis, the goddess, Gr. �, �, the rainbow, iris of the eye, the plant Iris. Cf. Orris