in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Javelin, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name Javelin mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of Javelin
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- A sort of light spear, to be thrown or cast by the hand; anciently, a weapon of war used by horsemen and foot soldiers; now used chiefly in hunting the wild boar and other fierce game."Flies the javelin swifter to its mark,
Launched by the vigor of a Roman arm?" [Addison.]
- [Sport] A wooden shaft resembling a spear, thrown by contestants in a contest called the javelin throw; the one throwing the javelin furthest wins the contest. The javelin throw is one of the field events of the modern Olympic Games.
Etymology: F. javeline; akin to Sp. jabalina, It. giavelina, and F. javelot, OF. gavlot. Cf. Gavelock
To pierce with a javelin.
- A spear thrown as a weapon or in competitive field events
- An athletic competition in which a javelin is thrown as far as possible
Middle English, from Old French javelline, diminutive of javelot, diminutive of *javel, from Vulgar Latin *gabalus, from Gaulish gabal- (compare Old Irish gabul (“fork”), Welsh gafl), from Proto-Celtic *gabalos (“fork, forked branch”), from Proto-Indo-European *gʰabʰlos (“fork, branch of tree”). The Old French term was also borrowed into Middle Low German as gaveline, and into Middle High German as gabilot.
- A light spear thrown with the hand and used as a weapon.
- A metal-tipped spear thrown for distance in an athletic field event.
Fun Facts about the name Javelin
- How Popular is the name Javelin? Javelin is the 80,591st most popular name of all time.
- How many people with the first name Javelin have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2016, the Social Security Administration has recorded 6 babies born with the first name Javelin in the United States.
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Javelin? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 2015 when it was given as a first name to 6 new born babies.
- What year had the most people named Javelin born? The highest recorded use of the first name Javelin was in 2015 with a total of 6 babies.
- Weird things about the name Javelin: Your name in reverse order is Nilevaj. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Jvilaen. How do you pronounce that?
What Javelin's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for Javelin born Oct 2, 1933
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Central England approximately on 1750. Your profession was sailor and shoemaker.
You were always involved with all new things. You have always loved changes, especially in art, music, cooking. The world is full of ill and lonely people. You should help those, who are less fortunate than you are.
Name poster for Javelin
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
U.S. Social Security Administration: Popular Baby Names, Death Master File (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.