- [Zoöl] A young goat."The . . . leopard shall lie down with the kid." [Is. xi. 6.]
- A young child or infant; hence, a simple person, easily imposed on.(Slang)
- A kind of leather made of the skin of the young goat, or of the skin of rats, etc.
- pl.Gloves made of kid.(Colloq. & Low)
- A small wooden mess tub; -- a name given by sailors to one in which they receive their food.
- Among pugilists, thieves, gunfighters, etc., a youthful expert; -- chiefly used attributively; as, kid Jones.(Cant)
Etymology: Of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. kið, Dan. & Sw. kid; akin to OHG. kizzi, G. kitz kitzchen, kitzlein