- A weapon of war, consisting of a long shaft or handle and a steel blade or head; a spear carried by horsemen, and often decorated with a small flag; also, a spear or harpoon used by whalers and fishermen."A braver soldier never couched lance." [Shak.]
- A soldier armed with a lance; a lancer.
- [Founding] A small iron rod which suspends the core of the mold in casting a shell.
- [Mil] An instrument which conveys the charge of a piece of ordnance and forces it home.
- [Pyrotech] One of the small paper cases filled with combustible composition, which mark the outlines of a figure.
- [Med] A lancet.
Etymology: OE. lance, F. lance fr. L. lancea; cf. Gr. lo`gchh. Cf. Launch