in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Lonely, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name Lonely mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of Lonely
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- Sequestered from company or neighbors; solitary; retired; as, a lonely situation; a lonely cell.
- Alone, or in want of company; forsaken."To the misled and lonely traveler." [Milton.]
- Not frequented by human beings; as, a lonely wood.
- Having a feeling of depression or sadness resulting from the consciousness of being alone; lonesome."I am very often alone. I don't mean I am lonely." [H. James.]
synonyms: Solitary; lone; lonesome; retired; unfrequented; sequestered; secluded.
Etymology: Shortened fr. alonely
- Marked by dejection from being alone ("felt sad and lonely")
- Devoid of creatures ("a lonely crossroads")
- Characterized by or preferring solitude ("a lonely existence")
- Lacking companions or companionship ("a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel" and "a lonely soul")
From lone + -ly, or from an apheretic shortening of alonely. See lone.
Fun Facts about the name Lonely
- When was the first name Lonely first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name Lonely is Friday, June 22nd, 1894.
- How unique is the name Lonely? From 1880 to 2016 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name Lonely. Hoorah! You are a unique individual.
- Weird things about the name Lonely: Your name in reverse order is Ylenol. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Oleynl. How do you pronounce that?
What Lonely's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for Lonely born Jun 3, 1988
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Central England approximately on 1325. Your profession was jeweler and watch-maker.
You were always involved with all new things. You have always loved changes, especially in art, music, cooking. The world is full of ill and lonely people. You should help those, who are less fortunate than you are.
Name poster for Lonely
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.