Etymology: From L. Maia, a goddess
Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Maia
How popular is the baby name Maia in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Fun Facts about the name Maia
- How many people with the first name Maia have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 11,626 babies born with the first name Maia in the United States. That's more than enough people named Maia to occupy the country of Tuvalu with an estimated population of 10,000 (as of July 1, 2012).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Maia? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1950 when it was given as a first name to 6 new born babies.
- When was Maia first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Maia is Tuesday, November 9th, 1880.
- What year had the most people named Maia born? The highest recorded use of the first name Maia was in 2006 with a total of 597 babies.
- Random Maia Factoid: According to the 2010 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Maia ranks 85th in popularity as a baby girl's name in Hawaii. Imagine that, 12 babies in Hawaii have the same name as you in 2010.
- Weird things about the name Maia: Your name in reverse order is Aiam. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Aima. How do you pronounce that?
- How many people have the last name Maia? In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau surveyed 1,018 people with the last name Maia.
- How likely are you to meet someone with the last name of Maia? Chances are, most people haven't met someone with Maia as their last name since less than 1 person in 286k people have that last name. If you know one, consider yourself lucky!
Where is the name Maia popular?
Popularity of Maia as a first name
|█||Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander||2.85%||4.85%|
|█||American Indian and Alaska Native||0.00%||0.69%|
|█||Two or More Ethnicities||0.00%||1.76%|
|█||Hispanic or Latino||9.14%||16.26%|
Of Last Name Maia
People with the last name Maia are most frequently White
Entire United States
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Maia" mean? The list below shows the origins of Maia as well as things modernly associated with the name Maia such as celebrities named Maia.
Origin and Meaning of Maia
The name "Maia" is of Latin origin, and it means "Great". It's a name commonly given to girls.
- Type genus of the Majidae; nearly cosmopolitan in distribution
From Ancient Greek ÎœÎ±á¿–Î± (MaÃ®a).
- (Greek mythology) Daughter of Atlas and mother of Hermes.
- (Roman mythology) The goddess of growth after whom the month May (Latin maius) was named.
- A female given name of recent usage.
- (astronomy) A star in the constellation Taurus. It is the fourth brightest star in the Pleiades cluster.
- (astronomy) Short for 66 Maja, a main belt asteroid.
Maia was also found in the following language(s): Translingual, Estonian, Faroese, Latin, and Portuguese
Other Inspirations for the Name Maia
What does the name Maia mean?
Mis for mild, your mild and gentle way.
Ais for adaptable, whenever things change
Iis for intriguing, arousing the curiosity of others
Ais for articulate, a regular wordsmith