in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Manatee, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Manatee" mean? The list below shows things modernly associated with the name Manatee such as celebrities named Manatee.
Origin and Meaning of Manatee
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
Any species of Trichechus, a genus of sirenians; -- called also sea cow.
Note: ☞ One species (Trichechus Senegalensis) inhabits the west coast of Africa; another (Trichechus Americanus) inhabits the east coast of South America, and the West-Indies. The Florida manatee (Trichechus latirostris) is by some considered a distinct species, by others it is thought to be a variety of Trichechus Americanus. It sometimes becomes fifteen feet or more in length, and lives both in fresh and salt water. It was hunted for its oil and flesh, and every species is now an endangered species.
Etymology: Sp. manatí, from the native name in Haiti. Cf. Lamantin
- Sirenian mammal of tropical coastal waters of America; the flat tail is rounded
Borrowing from Spanish manatí, from a Cariban language.
- Any of several plant-eating marine mammals, of family Trichechidae, found in tropical regions.
- There are no in Armenia.
- A gray colour, like that of a manatee.
Fun Facts about the name Manatee
- When was the first name Manatee first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name Manatee is Saturday, September 5th, 1908.
- How unique is the name Manatee? From 1880 to 2015 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name Manatee. Hoorah! You are a unique individual.
- Weird things about the name Manatee: Your name in reverse order is Eetanam. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Ameaten. How do you pronounce that?
What Manatee's Have Visited This Page?
What does the name Manatee mean?
Mis for mighty, your inner strength.
Ais for approachable, constantly meeting new people
Nis for neighborly, friendly to all acquaintances
Ais for affectionate, to those that matter most to you
Tis for tough, for you are not easily broken
Eis for enthusiasm, in even the most dire circumstances
Eis for enjoy, your life can be fun!
Past life for Manatee born Jan 18, 1980
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Mongolia approximately on 975. Your profession was entertainer, musician, poet, and temple-dancer.
You were sane, practical person, materialist with no spiritual consciousness. Your simple wisdom helped the weak and the poor. You should develop self-love and ability to implant hope into hearts of people. Ambition - is not everything. True wealth is buried in your soul.
Name poster for Manatee
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.