in the U.S.
in the U.S.
How to Pronounce Morphology
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Morphology, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name Morphology mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of Morphology
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- [Biol] That branch of biology which deals with the structure of animals and plants, treating of the forms of organs and describing their varieties, homologies, and metamorphoses. See Tectology, and Promorphology.
- [Biol] The form and structure of an organism.
- [Linguistics] The branch of linguistics which studies the patterns by which words are formed from other words, including inflection, compounding, and derivation.
- Specifically:The study of the patterns of inflection of words or word classes in any given language; the study of the patterns in which morphemes combine to form words, and the rules for combination; morphemics; as, the morphology of Spanish verbs; also, the inflection patterns themselves.
Etymology: Gr. morfh` form + -logy: cf. F. morphologie
- The branch of biology that deals with the structure of animals and plants
- The branch of geology that studies the characteristics and configuration and evolution of rocks and land forms
- The admissible arrangement of sounds in words
- Studies of the rules for forming admissible words
From morpho- + -logy.
- (uncountable) A scientific study of form and structure, usually without regard to function. Especially:
- (linguistics) The study of the internal structure of morphemes (words and their semantic building blocks).
- (biology) The study of the form and structure of animals and plants.
- (geology) The study of the structure of rocks and landforms.
- (countable) The form and structure of something.
- (countable) A description of the form and structure of something.
Fun Facts about the name Morphology
- How unique is the name Morphology? Out of 5,838,786 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Morphology was not present. It is possible the name you are searching has less than five occurrences per year.
- Weird things about the name Morphology: Your name in reverse order is Ygolohprom. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Gopohomryl. How do you pronounce that?
What Morphology's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for Morphology born Apr 7, 1979
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Romania approximately on 850. Your profession was map maker, astrologer, and astronomer.
Psychologically, you were timid, constrained, and quiet. You had creative talents, waited until that life to be liberated. Sometimes environment considered you strange. It always seemed to you, that your perceptions of the world are somewhat different. Your lesson - to trust your intuition as your best guide in present life.
Name poster for Morphology
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.