Etymology: F., fr. It. nicchia, prop., a shell-like recess in a wall, fr. nicchio a shellfish, mussel, fr. L. mytilus
Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Niche
Fun Facts about the name Niche
- How many people with the first name Niche have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 5 babies born with the first name Niche in the United States.
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Niche? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 2001 when it was given as a first name to 5 new born babies.
- When was Niche first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Niche is Thursday, December 17th, 1896.
- What year had the most people named Niche born? The highest recorded use of the first name Niche was in 2001 with a total of 5 babies.
- Weird things about the name Niche: Your name in reverse order is Ehcin. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Hncie. How do you pronounce that?
Where is the name Niche popular?
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Niche" mean? The list below shows the origins of Niche as well as things modernly associated with the name Niche such as celebrities named Niche.
- An enclosure that is set back or indented
- A small concavity
- (ecology) the status of an organism within its environment and community (affecting its survival as a species)
- A position particularly well suited to the person who occupies it ("he found his niche in the academic world")
Borrowing from French niche, from Old French niche, from nichier (“make a nest”) (modern French nicher), from Latin nīdus (“nest”).
- (architecture) A cavity, hollow, or recess, generally within the thickness of a wall, for a statue, bust, or other erect ornament. Hence, any similar position, literal or figurative.
- "Images defended from the injuries of the weather by of stone wherein they are placed." --Evelyn.
- (biology) A function within an ecological system to which an organism is especially suited.
- (by extension) Any position of opportunity for which one is well-suited, such as a particular market in business.
- An arrow woven into a Muslim prayer rug pointing in the direction of Mecca.
niche was also found in the following language(s): Dutch, French, and Norman
Other Inspirations for the Name Niche
Niche No Essay Scholarship
What does the name Niche mean?
Nis for nurturing, the care you provide to all
Iis for ideas, that you bring to life.
Cis for creative, ideas aplenty
His for heavenly, your spirit is strong.
Eis for expressive, not one to hold within.
Past life for Niche born Sep 18, 1936
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Philippines approximately on 700. Your profession was builder of houses, temples, and cathedrals.
As a ruthless character, you carefully weighed your decisions in critical situations, with excellent self-control and strong will. Generally liked, but not always loved. Your lesson - to combat violence and disharmony in our world, to understand its roots and origins. All global problems have similar origins.