Etymology: OF. peré, F. poiré, fr. poire a pear, L. pirum. See Pear the fruit
Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Perry
How popular is the baby name Perry in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born||Ranking|
#100 boy name
Fun Facts about the name Perry
- How many people with the first name Perry have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 77,304 babies born with the first name Perry in the United States. That's more than enough people named Perry to occupy the country of Dominica with an estimated population of 71,293 (as of May 14, 2011).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Perry? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1880 when it was given as a first name to 134 new born babies.
- When was Perry first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Perry is Wednesday, January 19th, 1831.
- What year had the most people named Perry born? The highest recorded use of the first name Perry was in 1959 with a total of 2,749 babies. That's a lot of babies named Perry!
- Random Perry Factoid: According to the 1957 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Perry ranks 91st in popularity as a baby boy's name in Montana. Imagine that, 18 babies in Montana have the same name as you in 1957.
- Weird things about the name Perry: Your name in reverse order is Yrrep. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Rpeyr. How do you pronounce that?
- How many people have the last name Perry? In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau surveyed 221,741 people with the last name Perry.
- How likely are you to meet someone with the last name of Perry? Perry was ranked as the 103rd most popular last name but is still less than 0.1% of the population!
Where is the name Perry popular?
Popularity of Perry as a first name
Common last names for Perry
|█||Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander||0.57%||4.85%|
|█||American Indian and Alaska Native||0.81%||0.69%|
|█||Two or More Ethnicities||2.43%||1.76%|
|█||Hispanic or Latino||2.67%||16.26%|
Of Last Name Perry
People with the last name Perry are most frequently White or African American
Entire United States
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Perry" mean? The list below shows the origins of Perry as well as things modernly associated with the name Perry such as celebrities named Perry.
Origin and Meaning of Perry
The name "Perry" is of English origin, and it means "Dweller by the pear-tree". It's a name commonly given to boys.
- A fermented and often effervescent beverage made from juice of pears; similar in taste to hard cider
- United States commodore who led the fleet that defeated the British on Lake Erie during the War of 1812; brother of Matthew Calbraith Perry (1785-1819)
- United States admiral who led a naval expedition to Japan and signed a treaty in 1854 opening up trade relations between United States and Japan; brother of Oliver Hazard Perry (1794-1858)
- United States philosopher (1876-1957)
- A topographic surname derived from the Old English pyrige (a pear tree).
- A unisex given name derived from the surname, or a pet form of the rare given name Peregrine.
- A town in Arkansas.
- A village in Cambridgeshire, England
- A city in Florida.
- A city in Georgia, USA.
- A village in Illinois.
- A city in Iowa.
- A city in Kansas.
- A town in Maine.
- A city in Michigan.
- A city in Missouri.
- A village in Ohio.
- A city in Oklahoma.
- A township in Ontario, Canada
- A city in Utah.
Perry Farrell is a singer-songwriter, musician, and dj specializing in alternative rock, alternative metal, and electronica music with the most prominent portion of his career being from 1981 to present. Perry was born in 1959 as Perry Bernstein in Queens, New York City, New York, U.S.
Perry King is an actor. Perry was born in 1948 as Perry Firestone King in Alliance, Ohio, United States.
Other Inspirations for the Name Perry
Perry Bible Fellowship
Perry Street Prep
Notable Persons With the Last Name Perry
Rachel was born in 1976 in Brockville, Ontario.
What does the name Perry mean?
Pis for please, the way you always do.
Eis for easy going, no ruffles here.
Ris for romantic, hopelessly so
Ris for rapport, friends seek you.
Yis for yearn, your innermost desires.