- The wife of a king.
- A woman who is the sovereign of a kingdom; a female monarch; as, Elizabeth, queen of England; Mary, queen of Scots. "In faith, and by the heaven's quene." [Chaucer.]
- A woman eminent in power or attractions; the highest of her kind; as, a queen in society; -- also used figuratively of cities, countries, etc. "This queenof cities.""Albion, queenof isles." [Cowper.]
- The fertile, or fully developed, female of social bees, ants, and termites.
- [Chess] The most powerful, and except the king the most important, piece in a set of chessmen.
- A playing card bearing the picture of a queen; as, the queen of spades.
Etymology: OE. quen quene, queen, quean, AS. cwēn wife, queen, woman; akin to OS. quān wife, woman, Icel. kvān wife, queen, Goth. qēns. √221. See Quean