- [Min] A precious stone of a carmine red color, sometimes verging to violet, or intermediate between carmine and hyacinth red. It is a red crystallized variety of corundum."Of rubies, sapphires, and pearles white." [Chaucer.]
- The color of a ruby; carmine red; a red tint."The natural ruby of your cheeks." [Shak.]
- That which has the color of the ruby, as red wine. Hence, a red blain or carbuncle.
- [Print] See Agate (n.), 2.(Eng)
- [Zoöl] Any species of South American humming birds of the genus Clytolæma. The males have a ruby-colored throat or breast.
Note: ☞ Besides the true or Oriental ruby above defined, there are the balas ruby, or ruby spinel, a red variety of spinel, and the rock ruby, a red variety of garnet.
Etymology: F. rubiscf. Pr. robi), LL. rubinus robinus, fr. L. rubeus red, reddish, akin to ruber. See Rouge red