- Covered or affected with rust; as, a rusty knife or sword; rusty wheat.
- Impaired by inaction, disuse, or neglect."Hector,] in this dull and long-continued truce, Is rusty grown." [Shak.]
- Discolored and rancid; reasty; as, rusty bacon.
- Surly; morose; crusty; sullen.(Obs. or Prov. Eng)" Rustywords." [Piers Plowman.]
- Rust-colored; dark." Rustyblood." [Spenser.]
- Discolored; stained; not cleanly kept; filthy."The rusty little schooners that bring firewood from the British provinces." [Hawthorne.]
- [Bot] Resembling, or covered with a substance resembling, rust; affected with rust; rubiginous.
Etymology: AS. rustig