Etymology: OE. sauge, F. sauge, L. salvia, from salvus saved, in allusion to its reputed healing virtues. See Safe
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Sage
How popular is the baby name Sage in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Want to know about the popularity of the Sage baby name? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 24,108 babies born with the name Sage in the United States. That's more than enough Sages to occupy the territory of British Virgin Islands (United Kingdom) with an estimated population of 24,000 (as of July 1, 2012). The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1921 when it was given to 5 new born babies. The highest recorded use of the name "Sage" was in 2004 with a total of 880 babies.
According to the 2002 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the name "Sage" ranks #81 in popularity as a baby girl's name in Wyoming. Imagine that, 7 babies in Wyoming have the same name as you in 2002. Across the entire United States a total of 1,063 babies also bear the same first name during the same year. OMG! It's tough being a popular person isn't it?
Where is the name Sage popular?
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Sage" mean? The list below shows the origins of Sage as well as things modernly associated with the name Sage such as celebrities named Sage.
Origin and Meaning of Sage
The name "Sage" is of English origin, and it means "Herb or Prophet". It's a name commonly given to both boys and girls.
- Having nice discernment and powers of judging; prudent; grave; sagacious."All you sage counselors, hence!" [Shak.]
- Proceeding from wisdom; well judged; shrewd; well adapted to the purpose."Commanders, who, cloaking their fear under show of sage advice, counseled the general to retreat." [Milton.]
- Grave; serious; solemn.(R)"Great bards] in sageand solemn tunes have sung." [Milton.]synonyms: Wise; sagacious; sapient; grave; prudent; judicious.
Etymology: F., fr. L. sapiusonly in nesapius unwise, foolish), fr. sapere to be wise; perhaps akin to E. sap. Cf. Savor Sapient Insipid
- Aromatic fresh or dried grey-green leaves used widely as seasoning for meats and fowl and game etc
- A mentor in spiritual and philosophical topics who is renowned for profound wisdom
- Any of various plants of the genus Salvia; a cosmopolitan herb
- Of the grey-green color of sage leaves
- Having wisdom that comes with age and experience
Other Inspirations for the Name Sage
Sage The Gemini
S is for sensible, the practical side.
A is for able, for you surely are.
G is for gem, the jewel you are.
E is for enchant, for enchant you will.
Your name in reverse order is "Egas". A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give "Geas". How do you pronounce that?
Now try the names of everyone you know including friends, cousins, neighbors, classmates, co-workers or your pets. Even your favorite anime, TV or movie characters! See what their names mean. Remember, this is purely just for fun.
Past life for Sage born Dec 3, 1951
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Romania approximately on 875. Your profession was philosopher and thinker.
Psychologically, you were timid, constrained, and quiet. You had creative talents, waited until that life to be liberated. Sometimes environment considered you strange. It always seemed to you, that your perceptions of the world are somewhat different. Your lesson - to trust your intuition as your best guide in present life.