in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Selfish, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Selfish" mean? The list below shows things modernly associated with the name Selfish such as celebrities named Selfish.
Origin and Meaning of Selfish
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- Caring supremely or unduly for one's self; regarding one's own comfort, advantage, etc., in disregard, or at the expense, of those of others."They judge of things according to their own private appetites and selfish passions." [Cudworth.]"In that throng of selfish hearts untrue." [Keble.]
- [Ethics] Believing or teaching that the chief motives of human action are derived from love of self."Hobbes and the selfish school of philosophers." [Fleming.]
- Concerned chiefly or only with yourself and your advantage to the exclusion of others ("Selfish men were...trying to make capital for themselves out of the sacred cause of civil rights")
From self + -ish. Compare Danish selvisk (“selfish”), Swedish självisk (“selfish”).
Fun Facts about the name Selfish
- How unique is the name Selfish? Out of 5,743,017 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Selfish was not present. It is possible the name you are searching has less than five occurrences per year.
- Weird things about the name Selfish: Your name in reverse order is Hsifles. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Sslfhei. How do you pronounce that?
What Selfish's Have Visited This Page?
What does the name Selfish mean?
Sis for superb, a great attitude about life.
Eis for excellence, your passion, your drive.
Lis for love, everlasting.
Fis for finesse, an enviable trait.
Iis for intriguing, arousing the curiosity of others
Sis for serene, your calm time.
His for honest, something you hold dear.
Past life for Selfish born Jul 28, 1952
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Tibet approximately on 850. Your profession was seaman, cook, and carpenter.
Psychologically, you had a Bohemian personality - mysterious, highly gifted, capable of understanding ancient books. Magical abilities, could be a servant of dark forces. The timid, lonely and self-confident people are everywhere, and your problem - to overcome these tendencies in yourself and then to help other people.
Name poster for Selfish
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.