Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Shan
How popular is the baby name Shan in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Fun Facts about the name Shan
- How many people with the first name Shan have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 2,977 babies born with the first name Shan in the United States. That's more than enough people named Shan to occupy the territory of Svalbard and Jan Mayen (Norway) with an estimated population of 2,495 (as of March 1, 2010).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Shan? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1944 when it was given as a first name to 11 new born babies.
- When was Shan first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Shan is Wednesday, September 14th, 1881.
- What year had the most people named Shan born? The highest recorded use of the first name Shan was in 1969 with a total of 73 babies.
- Random Shan Factoid: According to the 1976 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Shan is not a popular baby boy's name in Georgia. Imagine that, only 7 babies in Georgia have the same name as you in 1976.
- Weird things about the name Shan: Your name in reverse order is Nahs. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Sanh. How do you pronounce that?
- How many people have the last name Shan? In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau surveyed 2,099 people with the last name Shan.
- How likely are you to meet someone with the last name of Shan? Chances are, most people haven't met someone with Shan as their last name since less than 1 person in 141k people have that last name. If you know one, consider yourself lucky!
Where is the name Shan popular?
Popularity of Shan as a first name
|█||Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander||64.79%||4.85%|
|█||American Indian and Alaska Native||0.33%||0.69%|
|█||Two or More Ethnicities||1.72%||1.76%|
|█||Hispanic or Latino||1.62%||16.26%|
Of Last Name Shan
People with the last name Shan are most frequently White or Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander
Entire United States
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Shan" mean? The list below shows the origins of Shan as well as things modernly associated with the name Shan such as celebrities named Shan.
Origin and Meaning of Shan
The name "Shan" is of Chinese origin, and it means "Coral". It's a name commonly given to both boys and girls.
- A branch of the Tai languages
From the pinyin romanization of Chinese 陝 (Shān).
- The Shan Pass: a mountain pass in Shanzhou, Henan, through which the Yellow River flows into the North China Plain.
Other Inspirations for the Name Shan
Shan Biryani Masala
Shan Shan Comes To Eat
Shan Yu Mulan
What does the name Shan mean?
Sis for share, your talents, time, and possessions with others
His for happy, your wonderful laugh.
Ais for activities, for you have many.
Nis for number one, make sure to take care of yourself above all others