Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
More Popular Potential Spellings
Pronunciation of Silent
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Silent, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Fun Facts about the name Silent
- When was the first name Silent first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name Silent is Monday, December 3rd, 1917.
- How unique is the name Silent? From 1880 to 2015 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name Silent. Hoorah! You are a unique individual.
- Weird things about the name Silent: Your name in reverse order is Tnelis. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Tesiln. How do you pronounce that?
Answer a few simple questions to help us improve the information we display about names on the site.
Where is the name Silent popular?
Popularity of Silent as a last name
The map shows the absolute popularity of the name Silent as a last name in each of the states.
See other popular names in California, Florida, or Kentucky.
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Silent" mean? The list below shows the origins of Silent as well as things modernly associated with the name Silent such as celebrities named Silent.
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- Free from sound or noise; absolutely still; perfectly quiet."How silent is this town!" [Shak.]
- Not speaking; indisposed to talk; speechless; mute; taciturn; not loquacious; not talkative."Ulysses, adds he, was the most eloquent and most silent of men." [Broome.]"This new-created world, whereof in hell
Fame is not silent." [Milton.]
- Keeping at rest; inactive; calm; undisturbed; as, the wind is silent
- [Pron] Not pronounced; having no sound; quiescent; as, e is silent in “fable.”
- Having no effect; not operating; inefficient.(R)"Cause . . . silent, virtueless, and dead." [Sir W. Raleigh.]
synonyms: Mute; taciturn; dumb; speechless; quiet; still. See Mute, and Taciturn.
Etymology: L. silens
-entis, p. pr. of silere to be silent; akin to Goth. ana-silan
That which is silent; a time of silence.
- Unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
- Having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility ("a silent dog whistle")
- Not made to sound ("the silent `h' at the beginning of `honor'")
- Failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to ("the witness remained silent")
- Implied by or inferred from actions or statements ("gave silent consent")
- Marked by absence of sound ("a silent house")
From Latin silēnt-, silēns (“silent”), present participle of sileō (“be silent”), from Proto-Indo-European *seil- (“still, windless, quiet, slow”). Cognate with Gothic 𐌰𐌽𐌰𐍃𐌹𐌻𐌰𐌽 (anasilan, “to cease, grow still, be silent”), Old English sālnes (“silence”).
- (uncountable) That which is silent; a time of silence.
- A silent movie
silent was also found in the following language(s): French and Latin
What does the name Silent mean?
Sis for sensible, the practical side.
Iis for intriguing, arousing the curiosity of others
Lis for look, the way you look at life.
Eis for expert, in your chosen career
Nis for noteworthy, just like your achievements
Tis for tough, for you are not easily broken
Past life for Silent born Jun 16, 1995
What would you ask a Psychic? Get 3 FREE minutes with the most qualified advisors
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Western Africa approximately on 1825. Your profession was medicine man, surgeon, and herbalist.
As a ruthless character, you carefully weighed your decisions in critical situations, with excellent self-control and strong will. Generally liked, but not always loved. Your lesson - to combat violence and disharmony in our world, to understand its roots and origins. All global problems have similar origins.
Name poster for Silent
(click to save the high quality version)
Most Popular Names
Also see our other name lists