in the U.S.
in the U.S.
How to Pronounce Starfish
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Starfish, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Starfish" mean? The list below shows things modernly associated with the name Starfish such as celebrities named Starfish.
Origin and Meaning of Starfish
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- [Zoöl] Any one of numerous species of echinoderms belonging to the class Asterioidea, in which the body is star-shaped and usually has five rays, though the number of rays varies from five to forty or more. The rays are often long, but are sometimes so short as to appear only as angles to the disklike body. Called also sea star
five-finger, and stellerid.
- [Zoöl] The dollar fish, or butterfish.
Note: ☞ The ophiuroids are also sometimes called starfishes. See Brittle star, and Ophiuroidea.
- Echinoderms characterized by five arms extending from a central disk
star + fish
- Any of various asteroids or other echinoderms (not in fact fish) with usually five arms, many of which eat bivalves or corals by everting their stomach.
- (vulgar, slang, usually in translations of Japanese pornography) an anus. See also chocolate starfish.
- (obsolete) Any many-armed or tentacled sea invertebrate, whether cnidarian, echinoderm, or cephalopod.
Fun Facts about the name Starfish
- How unique is the name Starfish? Out of 5,743,017 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Starfish was not present. It is possible the name you are searching has less than five occurrences per year.
- Weird things about the name Starfish: Your name in reverse order is Hsifrats. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Fsashitr. How do you pronounce that?
What Starfish's Have Visited This Page?
What does the name Starfish mean?
Sis for success, in all you will do.
Tis for tender, loving nature.
Ais for affectionate, to those that matter most to you
Ris for resourceful, in any challenge that comes your way
Fis for fancy, never just plain you!
Iis for impartial, a great arbiter
Sis for scholar, the brilliant in you.
His for happy, your wonderful laugh.
Past life for Starfish born May 10, 1972
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a female in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Saudi Arabia approximately on 1700. Your profession was shepherd, horseman, and forester.
You were a revolutionary type. You inspired changes in any sphere - politics, business, religion, housekeeping. You could have been a leader. You are bound to solve problems regarding pollution of environment, recycling, misuse of raw materials, elimination of radioactivity by all means including psychological methods.
Name poster for Starfish
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.