- The flap or latchet of a shoe fastened with a string or a buckle.
- A tag. See Tag, 2.
- A loop for pulling or lifting something.
- A border of lace or other material, worn on the inner front edge of ladies' bonnets.
- A loose pendent part of a lady's garment; esp., one of a series of pendent squares forming an edge or border.
- a small projecting piece of a file folder, file card, or similar sheet used in a filing system, on which a notation is written to permit convenient search for the folder, card, etc.
- a bill or check for some purchase, as in a restaurant; as, the salesman will pick up the tab .
- a key on a typewriter or computer keyboard which advances the carriage or curser to the next (preset) tab position; -- used especially to type or print text or numbers in columns.
Etymology: Etymol. uncertain