- Your Searches:
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
We noticed you have a microphone. If you know how to pronounce Tamil, just click the button to record. We'll save it, review it, and post it to help others.
Meanings and Origins
What does the name Tamil mean? Find out below.
Origin and Meaning of Tamil
Thanks! We will review your submission shortly!
Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
Of or pertaining to the Tamils, or to their language.
- [Ethnol] One of a Dravidian race of men native of Northern Ceylon and Southern India.
- The Tamil language, the most important of the Dravidian languages. See Dravidian
Etymology: Written also Tamul
- The Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil in southern India and Sri Lanka
- A member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasian people of southern India and Sri Lanka
- Of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the language itself ("Tamil agglutinative phrases")
From Tamil à®¤à®®à®¿à®´à¯ (tamiá¸», â€œTamilâ€).
- A Dravidian language spoken in the state of Tamil Nadu, India and in Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia.
- A person whose ethnic origins come from Tamil Nadu, India or Sri Lanka.
Tamil was also found in the following language(s): Dutch
Notable Persons Named Tamil
Tamil Yusufenko is an athlete for the FC Karpaty-2 Lviv.
Fun Facts about the name Tamil
- When was the first name Tamil first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the name Tamil is Sunday, December 7th, 1902.
- How unique is the name Tamil? From 1880 to 2016 less than 5 people per year have been born with the first name Tamil. Hoorah! You are a unique individual.
- Weird things about the name Tamil: Your name in reverse order is Limat. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Tmila. How do you pronounce that?
What Tamil's Have Visited This Page?
Past life for Tamil born Jan 22, 1987
I do not know how you feel about it, but you were a male in your last earthly incarnation. You were born somewhere around the territory of Wales approximately on 975. Your profession was entertainer, musician, poet, and temple-dancer.
You always liked to travel, to investigate, could have been detective or spy. Your lesson - to conquer jealousy and anger in yourself and then in those, who will select you as their guide. You should understand that these weaknesses are caused by fear and self-regret.
Name poster for Tamil
(click to save the high quality version)
U.S. Census Bureau: Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000 (public domain).
1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary via the Collaborative International Dictionary of English (License)
Other Dictionary Sources: WordNet 3.1 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University (License).
Wiktionary: Titles and License.
Notable persons via Wikipedia: Titles and License. Click each image for the attribution information.