Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Wan
Fun Facts about the name Wan
- How many people with the first name Wan have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 15 babies born with the first name Wan in the United States.
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Wan? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1955 when it was given as a first name to 5 new born babies.
- When was Wan first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Wan is Thursday, May 10th, 1888.
- What year had the most people named Wan born? The highest recorded use of the first name Wan was in 1960 with a total of 5 babies.
- Weird things about the name Wan: Your name in reverse order is Naw. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Awn. How do you pronounce that?
- How many people have the last name Wan? In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau surveyed 5,831 people with the last name Wan.
- How likely are you to meet someone with the last name of Wan? If you manage to meet 100,000 people in your life, chances are that 2 of them will have Wan as their last name.
Where is the name Wan popular?
Common last names for Wan
|█||Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander||89.97%||4.85%|
|█||American Indian and Alaska Native||0.10%||0.69%|
|█||Two or More Ethnicities||2.78%||1.76%|
|█||Hispanic or Latino||1.23%||16.26%|
Of Last Name Wan
People with the last name Wan are most frequently Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander
Entire United States
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Wan" mean? The list below shows the origins of Wan as well as things modernly associated with the name Wan such as celebrities named Wan.
Origin and Meaning of Wan
The name "Wan" is of Chinese origin, and it means "Gentle, Gracious". It's a name commonly given to girls.
Etymology: AS. wann wonn wan won, dark, lurid, livid, perhaps originally, worn out by toil, from winnan to labor, strive. See Win
- A computer network that spans a wider area than does a local area network
- Become pale and sickly
- Lacking vitality as from weariness or illness or unhappiness ("a wan smile")
- Abnormally deficient in color as suggesting physical or emotional distress ("her wan face suddenly flushed")
- (of light) lacking in intensity or brightness; dim or feeble ("the pale (or wan) stars" and "the wan light of dawn")
From Middle English, from Old English ƿann (“dark, dusky”), from Proto-Germanic *wannaz (“dark, swart”), of uncertain origin. Cognate with Old Frisian wann, wonn (“dark”).
- The quality of being wan; wanness.
Eye dialect spelling of one. Sense extended possibly as a result of the phrase your wan as a counterpart to your man.
- Eye dialect spelling of one, representing Ireland English.
- (Ireland) girl or woman
wan was also found in the following language(s): Dutch, Gothic, Japanese, Mandarin, Nigerian Pidgin, Noone, North Frisian, Old English, Pipil, Scots, Sranan Tongo, and Tok Pisin
Other Inspirations for the Name Wan
Wan Vs Lan
Wan Vs Lan Port
Notable Persons With the Last Name Wan
Irene Wan is an actress. Irene was born in 1967.
Lau Ching Wan
Lau Ching Wan is a chinese-language singer and actor. Lau was born in 1964 in Hong Kong.
Dong was born in 1979.
What does the name Wan mean?
Wis for wisdom, you acquire with age.
Ais for accomplished, in all that you do.
Nis for notable, distinguished are your feats