Tip: Try the names of friends, pets, celebrities, and fictional characters
in the U.S.
in the U.S.
Pronunciation of Wilson
How popular is the baby name Wilson in the U.S.?
|Year||Total Babies Born||Girls Born||Boys Born|
Fun Facts about the name Wilson
- How many people with the first name Wilson have been born in the United States? From 1880 to 2015, the Social Security Administration has recorded 44,887 babies born with the first name Wilson in the United States. That's more than enough people named Wilson to occupy the territory of Turks and Caicos Islands (United Kingdom) with an estimated population of 44,493 (as of July 1, 2012).
- What year were 5 or more babies first named Wilson? The name was first given to 5 or more babies in the year 1880 when it was given as a first name to 72 new born babies.
- When was Wilson first recorded in the United States? The oldest recorded birth by the Social Security Administration for the first name Wilson is Thursday, May 9th, 1867.
- What year had the most people named Wilson born? The highest recorded use of the first name Wilson was in 1918 with a total of 1,381 babies. That's a lot of babies named Wilson!
- Random Wilson Factoid: According to the 1948 U.S. Social Security Administration data, the first name Wilson ranks 100th in popularity as a baby boy's name in Delaware. Imagine that, 6 babies in Delaware have the same name as you in 1948.
- Weird things about the name Wilson: Your name in reverse order is Nosliw. A random rearrangement of the letters in your name (anagram) will give Wsolni. How do you pronounce that?
- How many people have the last name Wilson? In 2010, the U.S. Census Bureau surveyed 801,882 people with the last name Wilson.
- How likely are you to meet someone with the last name of Wilson? Wilson was ranked as the 14th most popular last name but is still less than 0.1% of the population!
Where is the name Wilson popular?
Popularity of Wilson as a first name
Common last names for Wilson
|█||Asian, Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander||0.60%||4.85%|
|█||American Indian and Alaska Native||1.06%||0.69%|
|█||Two or More Ethnicities||2.38%||1.76%|
|█||Hispanic or Latino||2.61%||16.26%|
Of Last Name Wilson
People with the last name Wilson are most frequently White or African American
Entire United States
Meaning, Origin, Inspirations, and Associations
Have you been wondering what does the name "Wilson" mean? The list below shows the origins of Wilson as well as things modernly associated with the name Wilson such as celebrities named Wilson.
Origin and Meaning of Wilson
The name "Wilson" is of English origin, and it means "Son of William". It's a name commonly given to boys.
- A peak in the San Juan mountains of Colorado (14,246 feet high)
- 28th President of the United States; led the United States in World War I and secured the formation of the League of Nations (1856-1924)
- United States literary critic (1895-1972)
- Scottish physicist who invented the cloud chamber (1869-1959)
- United States entomologist who has generalized from social insects to other animals including humans (born in 1929)
- American Revolutionary leader who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence (1742-1798)
- Canadian geophysicist who was a pioneer in the study of plate tectonics (1908-1993)
- United States physicist honored for his work on cosmic microwave radiation (born in 1918)
- Scottish ornithologist in the United States (1766-1813)
- English writer of novels and short stories (1913-1991)
- Author of the first novel by an African American that was published in the United States (1808-1870)
Will (short form of William) +â€Ž -son
- An English, Scottish and northern Irish patronymic surnameâ€‹.
- A male given name derived from the surname.
- A city in North Carolina.
Wilson was also found in the following language(s): Hungarian
Wilson Pickett is a singer and songwriter specializing in R&B, rock and roll, soul, southern soul music with the most prominent portion of his career being from 1955 to 2006. Wilson was born in 1941 in Prattville, Alabama, United States.
Wilson Jermaine Heredia
Wilson Jermaine Heredia is an actor with the most prominent portion of his career being from 1 to present. Wilson was born in 1971 in Brooklyn, New York, United States.
Other Inspirations for the Name Wilson
Wilson Pool Dc
Wilson High School
Notable Persons With the Last Name Wilson
Mara Wilson is an actress, stage actress, voice actress, and playwright with the most prominent portion of her career being from 1993 to present. Mara was born in 1987 as Mara Elizabeth Wilson in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Brian Wilson is a musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer specializing in rock, pop, and art rock music with the most prominent portion of his career being from 1961 to present. Brian was born in 1942 as Brian Douglas Wilson in Inglewood, California, United States.
Bridgette Wilson is an actress, singer, and model with the most prominent portion of her career being from 1980 to present. Bridgette was born in 1973 as Bridgette Leann Wilson in Gold Beach, Oregon, U.S.
What does the name Wilson mean?
Wis for work, for which you strive to accomplish
Iis for immense, are your great qualities
Lis for luxury, the luxury of your smile.
Sis for sensational, you know how to make a splash!
Ois for organized, you always know where things are
Nis for narrator, tell many stories